Thursday, August 19, 2010

We have an official bike rider

In Caitlin's nearly four years of life, she is pretty adventurous and determined. She would love to try water skiing (her feet are way too small for skis), jumps in the river (with life jacket of course) without hesitation, swims like a maniac  and wants to ride big rides - but when it comes to riding a bike, she was completely unable to pedal her bicycle. I joke saying she was born pedally-challenged. She can ride her little trike like crazy but it is meant for a 12-18 month old and she is clearly too big for it.

For Caitlin's third birthday, we got her a sparkly pink and purple bike that she loved. Loved to sit on it and look at it, but when it came to riding, she has been stuck for a year. If we gave her a little push to get her going, she could eventually ride for a few yards but then every time she stopped, she would be stuck again. I tried over and over and over again to teach her how to get herself started.

A couple days ago, I decided enough was enough. Jason was riding the same size bike in circles when he was just two. We love going on bike rides and walks, and she wants to ride with us, but obviously it doesn't work well on her baby bike.  I took Caitlin to the bike bath and after a lot of crying and frustration, and one fall resulting in a scraped knee, she finally was able to start on her own. We practice for three days and she is nearly a pro. She still gets "stuck" every once in a while, but she is on a roll. Good thing too, this bike is already almost too small for her!





I'll try and get video soon, it's pretty cute and she is so proud of herself!

post signature